Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Comforts of Home

It's been over two weeks since we moved in to the house.  Despite the fact that we still have not closed, the place is a disaster 24/7, and we continue to go without several modern amenities, it is starting to feel like home.  As we are still unable to get any work done on the house, I've had to occupy my time inside by daydreaming of a working stove and walls that are not a gross shade of brown.  Amid all the chaos that is living here, Jared and I are at least a little comfortable, and we hold on the knowledge that this situation isn't permanent.  For his part, Jared does a little yard work here and there when he's not working AND possesses the motivation.  I'm still trying to come up with meals that can be made without a stove or oven.  All these little adventures are memorable, though, and I know that we'll be laughing about them in the future.

Still, despite the craziness that is our lives right now, there's nothing like gazing out of a window to see birds flitting through the trees and squirrels harassing each other in the yard.  Just yesterday I discovered that we have a family of cardinals living somewhere in our backyard.  Those little encounters make me feel at home amid the boxes and whatnot.  Even though our former apartment was in the current century, it was dark and I was unable to enjoy a dreamy afternoon on the couch just staring out the window.  Maybe it's the extra sunlight coming through the windows that has me in a better mood.  I am certain, however, that there's nothing quite like having your own home, and as much as I want to leave Georgia, I know I won't be forgetting this place any time soon.  So I'm making the best of it by cherishing the memories and hoping I learn a thing or two from this crazy experience.

1 comment:

  1. I have a few crock pot recipes I like. You know I won't do it unless it's easy! Let me know if you want a recipe for any of these:
    Cheesey Chicken Spaghetti
    Ranch Pork Chops
    Enchilada Soup

    ReplyDelete