Tuesday, August 28, 2012

In the Thick of Things

We have owned the house for a week.  A WEEK!  I can hardly believe it.  So far, the contractors have been here every day except Sunday.  Pete came by on Saturday but didn't do any actual work.  He did bring a huge truck load of tools and whatnot.

So now we're in it full swing.  The renovations are dominating the house.  Right now, the Rabbits are here, as well as the A/C people.  The A/C guys had to balance the air in the house; basically they had to mess with a few things to make sure each room was getting adequate air.  They won't be here all day, as they've only got a few things to do, and I have to admit, I think I prefer it that way.  There's quite enough chaos going on in this house with just the Rabbits.  Having an extra two guys knocking about in my attic does add to the craziness.

Anyway, they Rabbits are still working on the kitchen.  So far, so good, despite having to completely redo the floor.  There had been quite a bit of water coming in through the kitchen window.




Being a sixty-six year old house, all the years without gutters or proper sealing around the windows leads to a good amount of wood rot.  The frame work under the window had to be fixed as well as the entire sub floor and joists.  The hole that Jack is working on was actually started by his foot when he fell through.  Luckily, he wasn't hurt, but that just goes to show how much work was needed on the floor.










So they started tearing up the original sub floor.  As I watched, I was amazed that the floor was only as deflected as it was.















Once they got it down to the joists, the damage was clearly seen.  Water had been seeping through the joists to about the middle of the room.  From the middle to the interior wall, the damage wasn't so bad, but right up against the exterior wall, the beams were so rotted that a few of them fell apart with just a little help from a hammer.











So the Rabbits started demo-ing the floor joists.














Until I was left with a big hole where my kitchen used to be.  At this point, I might have had a few "Oh.  MY.  GOSH" moments.  I mean, a crappy kitchen is better than no kitchen, right?  Hopefully the end result makes this giant pit of a kitchen worth it.








Ullr has been a champ through this.  Though sometimes he gets a little wound up from all the noise, he's learning to deal with it.  I think he needs a little hard hat with holes for his ears...that would be cute.











So after the old floor joists were disposed of, the new ones were put in.  Thankfully we didn't have have to deal with a giant pit in the floor for too long.









All finished!  They added a support beam just for extra protection against the floor bouncing.  This floor is going to be nice and level.  Before, the fridge was sitting at such an angle, the doors had a hard time closing.





All of this happened on Monday and last Friday, so the kitchen has been gutted for a good amount of time.  I'm quite ready for them to start moving on to laying sub floors and putting up drywall.  I've also talked to our head contractor about all the finishing touches, but only for a minute or two.  Due to the floor having to be redone, we've had to come up with ways to save money in our budget, which includes using a tile that is discontinued.  I, however, have not been able to see it yet.  I'm seriously hoping that it looks good...I've looked at the cabinet options, but obviously I can't pick one out yet because I don't know what the tile is going to look like with the cabinets I like.  We're also having to figure out how to arrange the kitchen, which is proving to be a difficult task.  The Rabbits have some very strong opinions when it comes to this, but Jared and I already had a vision, and now we're not sure which way to go...ok I'm not sure.  Jared refuses to change his mind on it.

While I contemplate the kitchen, the Rabbits are still working on it.  Today they took down the beam that we thought was necessary.  It wasn't.
The only reason it was there was to hide the crap job that someone did when they moved a light switch.  I would much rather have a nice flow from room to room, so I'm not going to miss the beam too much.












It didn't take much for this to come down.











I'm not sure what the guys are working on right now.  I do know that I'm currently roasting.  They A/C guys left without checking the outdoor unit, so it's not working at all.  Super.  So I'm seriously hoping they make it back this way soooooon...otherwise, I might pull a Wicked Witch of the West and melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment